Tuesday, January 27, 2009

National Pie Day


As simple as PIE! Yummy chocolate tarts from Martha Stewart's Pies and Tarts. And above the tarts, a layout of the table.

Banana Cream from the Lion House Cookbook. And below, the famous Lady Bird Johnson Pecan.






Cherry with a cheat code lattice cutter from Williams Sonoma. And bottom, Apple from Favorites!









Thanks to Sarah, National Pie Day was a success at the Liechty home, after nearly 10 years of it passing by unnoticed. We had lots of neighbors and friends who joined us and Brent and Ralph were here for the pre-celebration baking, three days earlier, when I made a blueberry, Tollhouse chocolate and pumpkin pie to freshen up my crust skills, and to appease Matthew who just happened to start a crazy pie obsession about the second week in January. I figure that Matthew like his cousin Oliver for the Contreras family, can be our patron Liechty for NPD since his birthday is January 5th. Lucky for Matthew, I had already been sparked with the desire to make pies by Sarah.


I had the happiest day in a long time on Friday January 23rd. Peter and I danced to Sympathique as I rolled out crust after crust, mixed fillings, melted chocolate, sliced bananas, emptied cans and dusted flour off my nose. In the end I made two sweet potatoe pies, one apple, one cherry, 6 chocolate tarts, one banana cream and the winner! the pecan pie recipe that Lady Bird Johnson made for JFK the day he was killed. It rocks! Our friends brought a fruit tart, a chocolate cream and lots of vanilla icecream. James and I agreed, it was one of the happiest nights we've had in a long time. Thanks to the pie, and Sarah and Martha and Favorites and the Daily Universe January 1995, the Lion House and Pink Martini and all those friends who jumped on board and called out Happy National Pie day as they walked through the door. I now believe we will continue this fun mid January American tradition.

11 comments:

Emily S. said...

It sounds wonderful and delicious! You are amazing to make all those pies - but then again - it always was your specialty! Wish we could have joined in the festivities!

Jennette said...

How fun! I'll have to put this on my own calendar to celebrate next January.

Jamie said...

How fun. I wish we still lived down the street so we could join in on the festivities. All of the pies look amazing. I didn't realize you were such an expert. I should have taken some lessons when we lived there. I have never attempted a pie in my life. (Does my chocolate tart I made once count?)

Kimberly Pace Henderson said...

I NEED one of those chocolate tarts. You are the best, so beautiful and it takes a special kind of person to make that many pies! I wish I had been there. The Cowboy Junkies concert is on a Sunday - should we do it?

Debbie said...

Those pies look great. I used to make pies. Now I buy pies. Andria makes pies. We have missed you at the latest family gathering. What a shock to drive up to Petty's on Sat. and see James standing there. We had a good hug.
Kim, don't you dare do Cowboy Junkies, unless you take me.
Love you all

Brittany said...

They look wonderful! Maybe I'll have to invite myself over next year. I didn't know you had a blog. this will be fun to keep up with you better.

Kelly said...

I love pie! Thanks for the great idea. Have any leftovers I can come and eat?

Sarah said...

you put my pies to shame. All those old memories came back of you in the kitchen baking pies. You have always inspired me in the ways of pastry making.

breedinglilacs said...

I wish I had one of those tarts right now to help me maintain my obesity! Steph bought me some clotted cream at Whole Foods and so this week I plan to make some orange cranberry scones. Delish! And, yes, Kimberly, you should go to Cowboy Junkies, my reverance for them grows every year.

Natalie said...

NATIONAL PIE DAY!!! I've only made it to 2 or 3 of these famous celebrations, but.... Yuuuummmmyyy!
I'm so glad you guys are blogging. You will have to check out ours thetophers.blogspot.com
After reading some of your posts, I feel like I don't know your boys AT ALL! How sad. This is why I love blogging.
Love ya, Natalie

lindseyfrancom said...

REBECCA- I got your blog address from Natalie- she got it from Kimberly. I am so excited you are blogging. I will finally be able to know more about your family and keep up with what is going on. I love you and hope you are doing well. My blog address is www.lindseyfrancom.blogspot.com
Love Lindsey Koller Francom