Monday, November 24, 2008

A Midsummer Night's Dream by the Mount Vernon Stake


This last weekend our stake presented A Midsummer Night's Dream. Matthew and Stephen and I were part of the Mechanicals which is a group of actors in Athen's putting on their own melodrama for the Duke's wedding. I played "Quince", the leader of the Mechanicals, who organizes the players and fights for dominance against the very dramatic lead actor, "Bottom" (he who later gets turned into a donkey.) Our segments were the funniest because all the characters are very silly. I loved being in the play with my boys. They did very well and had a good time. I really love Shakespeare too and am happy to have finally had a speaking part in a Shakespeare play. I hope it's not the last.


I included a cast photo. The play was set in present day Washington D.C. The Court were dressed like senators/proffessionals, the Mechanicals like working lower class people and the fairies like the homeless. We were trying to show that all classes have magic and value to them. It was fun. I am in the green hardhat like a foreman, Bottom is in the jumpsuit in front of me by Stephen and Matthew. Vanessa Rich (Croshaw) from highschool is in a blue hat holding her violin (she played music for the play) and maybe you'll recognize the flowery dress that "Thisby" wore, a man dressed up like a woman. That was Stephenie's bridesmaid dress from Colleen Covey's wedding.
After the final show, as we cleaned the church and took down the stage, a bunch of us started singing Les Mis and Phantom and Wicked. Thespians! I just love the theatre!

6 comments:

Emily S. said...

Very fun! I am glad you described your costume because I was having a very hard time finding you in the picture! I did recognize Vanessa though. What a great experience for you and your boys. I love Shakespeare too and that's a great play. Your stake sounds awesome!

Jamie said...

You are so cute Rebecca. How fun! I bet your boys just loved it.

Kimberly Pace Henderson said...

So fun! I wish I had been there. I looked at the picture before I read the text and I could not find you anywhere! Love the hard hat.

Kimberly Pace Henderson said...

You look really young in the picture. You look like you did in high school.

Anna said...

How fun to be in a play with your children...especially Shakespeare! What a great opportunity!

Kimberly Pace Henderson said...

Becca . . . I am waiting patiently for a new post from the Liechty household. What is up? Hurry hurry. I want pictures of Peter.