Thursday, December 11, 2008

Distinguished Students and My French Song


This one is for Kim. If it weren't for her gentle prodding I would never get around to additions for my blog. So I am waiting for my most recent pictures to download and I will from there figure out what to tell you all about.



I do have two occasions I want to brag, I mean blog, about but I am unknowing how to include the dramatic evidence. Perhaps before I actually post this one, I will figure it all out and you can see first: the certificates that Jonny and Stephen received from their elementary school for being chosen as "distinguished students". And second: I will include the recording of myself singing at my voice recital last Sunday. (And of course there is a recording of Peter singing "I am Iron Man, na, na, na na, na, na Iron Man" as well as the entire Power Ranger Ninja Storm theme song, on pitch.)



So in hopes that I will be able to figure out the mechanics of scanning and adding sound recordings to the post, I will elaborate on these two items.



Three times a year the teachers at Island Creek Elementary pick a student from their class who has distinguished themselves in one area or another. Jonny and Stevie both had this honor when they were in First Grade and then graciously again this Fall. It was fun to have both of them receiving their award together. Jonny's teacher's gave him an award for "writing words that knock Mrs. Markon and Mrs. A'hearn's socks off" (I should include one particular poem). Stephen's teacher gave him an award for "Excelling in Mathematics". It was great! They even got to hug the school mascot, "Cosmo the Crocodile. " Maybe subconsciously I married James so we would have smart kids.



And as for me...last Sunday I performed for the recital of all my voice teacher's students. I sang an entire French song! called Au bord de l'eau by Gabriel Faure. It is a lovely soprano song that lilts and swells with sap and I just loved singing in French (even though James said I sounded like an American with a bad French accent.) Then I sang Show Me from My Fair Lady. That one was fun because I just love musical theater and I even did the Maria from Sound of Music point- up- to- the- sky- with- my- index- finger on the super long high note I held out forever at the end of the song. I am hoping that this Spring I can swing a concert just for myself, maybe a dozen songs. I really love singing, but I have some improvement to make on breath support etc.

So I will post this without evidences and include them later. Thanks, Kim.


This last one is the one I wanted you all to see of the famous Iron Man and Power Ranger songs.

9 comments:

Emily S. said...

Hooray! I have been anxiouly waiting for another post. Congrats to the boys! And I agree about marrying smart men in order to have smart kids. It seemed smart to me! And I only hope that I can hear your song someday. I bet it was beauitful - and in French too! Lovely.

Kimberly Pace Henderson said...

Yahooo! Thank you Becca, my day is better having read your post. I love your boys, they are all too smart and too far away from me. I know your french song was perfect and I wish I could have been there. I am now going to start my prodding so that you will post your recordings. Peter singing? What could be more heavenly?

Jamie said...

Fun update. Congrats to the boys. That is exciting. I love My Fair Lady and Show Me. How fun. I would have loved to be there. Hope you are enjoying the holiday season.

Diane said...

Dear Rebecca,
we love your Peruvian commentary. We are waiting breathlessly for some audio of your singing. Congrats to the boys, We love you all.
Mom and Dad

Sarah said...

Becca! I love you, I love your kids, i want to hear peter's little voice. I vowed to sing to my kids because I remember you always singing to your boys. I remember their little faces staring up at you in wonder and amazement as you would entertain them forever. Where are you? come sing to my boys!

Emily S. said...

Oh. My. Gosh. That was amazing! Your voice is beautiful - not like that is news to me - it's always been beautiful. But it has a maturity to it now that I haven't heard before. I loved hearing the broadway song but my favorite was hearing the French song. It had a more classical sound to it and your voice fit perfectly! You need to do more of that! Thank you for posting this. I loooved hearing you sing. Just the sound of it brings back so many memories :-) You are so talented. At least one of us can still sing, huh? And how wonderful for you to take lessons now. Hooray!

Jennette said...

Wonderful! I've always loved your voice. You are amazing. And I'm so glad to hear that you're singing seriously again. I hope that you get a solo recital in the Spring, for sure!

Sarah said...

I love it! Peter is so cute, i'm missing his childhood, i especially like james' bear bottle, when did he take up drinking?

Kimberly Pace Henderson said...

So we are late for church but the girls and I have been sitting here listening to your fan - effing voice and of course watching Peter over and over. What entertainment! I love it. Way to put videos on your blog. You are so advanced.
Kate was mesmerized by Peter.